Nicholson Catholic College opened its doors for the first time in September, 1960, when it replaced St. Michael's High School, which had been in existence since 1930. In 1960, Nicholson consisted of grades 11,12, and 13. In 1965, Nicholson was expanded to include grades 9 and 10, when the Belleville Separate School Board opened Nicholson Senior School adjacent to Nicholson Catholic College.
At present Nicholson includes grades 9 to 12 and has an enrollment of approximately 700 students.
Nicholson was named in honor of Monsignor J.F. Nicholson, V.G., P.A., with whose help and guidance a Catholic high school was first opened in Belleville. Monsignor Nicholson was the pastor of St. Michael's parish.
The establishment of Nicholson was the result of the generosity of many people
The school owes much to bequests from Monsignor Nicholson and Dean L.B. Garvin, as well as to the continuing support of the clergy and people of Belleville and area. Notable among these is the Religious community of the Sisters of Providence and the many Sisters who staffed the school from the beginning.