I am writing to you today to provide an update with regards to the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) job action. This union represents the following employees at the ALCDSB; Educational Assistants, Early Childhood Educators, Secretaries, Youth Workers, Custodial Maintenance, and Central Clerical and Technical Staff.
CUPE has announced that they will participate in a full withdrawal of services on Friday, November 4, 2022, because of the legislation being tabled by the Provincial government (Keeping Students in Class Act).
As a result, all ALCDSB schools will be closed to students Friday, November 4, 2022, to ensure the health and safety of staff and students. Every effort will be made to remove barriers so that all students can fully participate in their learning during this time. All teaching staff will be at school to prepare for emergency online learning in the event of further action and will be in contact with their students. All students currently enrolled in remote learning will continue classes as normal.
In the event of a continued withdrawal of services, as of Monday, November 7, 2022;
- Asynchronous online learning will take place for all students
- Co-operative Education and Dual Credit programming will continue to run
- No extracurricular activities will be running on school property
- All before or afterschool care programs will NOT be in operation at any ALCDSB school sites, for the duration of any job action
- Technology will not be distributed at this time
Please monitor your email for school messenger updates daily or visit alcdsb.on.ca.
CUPE employees provide services that are central to the mission statement of our Board. The ALCDSB values the work of all its employees and their commitment to student safety.
Director of Education