The IB Diploma Programme is an internationally recognized curriculum designed to prepare students thoroughly for the rigorous demands of university. Regiopolis-Notre Dame offers this program in addition to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). OSSD requirements and courses are integrated with the International Baccalaureate requirements so that upon successful completion of the program, a student is awarded both the IB Diploma and the OSSD. Preparation for the IB programme begins in Grade 9. Requirements for the programme are completed in the final two years of secondary school (Grades 11 and 12).
Through comprehensive and balanced curricula coupled with challenging assessments, the International Baccalaureate Organization aims to assist schools in their endeavours to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Beyond intellectual rigour and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that makes for the richness of life.
The IB Diploma candidate is a student who:
- is highly motivated
- is university bound
- has excellent English skills
- has excellent work habits
- has a genuine love of learning
- is involved in sports, the arts and community work
- desires an education with a global perspective
Profile of an IB Learner
The IB Programme is very rigorous. Students who flourish in the programme are well- motivated, love to learn, look for opportunities to engage in thinking and, embrace challenge. The strengths of an IB student go beyond academics to include active involvement in other interests that include athletics, the arts and, global citizenship.
Why Do IB?
- To attain a well rounded, balanced education that includes exposure to languages, arts, science and mathematics
- To seek challenge beyond the Ontario curriculum
- To acquire improved time management skills that are invaluable for success in university
- To gain the opportunity for international post secondary study
- To develop skills and work habits that better prepare students for university
- To gain recognition when applying to highly esteemed universities world wide
- To receive advanced standing in first year university for HL courses
- To earn an internationally recognized Diploma
- To rise to the exceptionally high standards of the IBO
The RND IB Experience
The RND IB faculty is committed to supporting candidates through the programme. The teachers have received specialized training through the IBO and participate in ongoing professional development workshops with other IB teachers across the province. The Student Services Department also has an IB trained counselor who is dedicated to helping students develop a 4 year plan that will meet the IB requirements while keeping in mind the student’s best interests. RND’s administrative team is attentive to demands associated with this specialized programme and works closely with the IB coordinator to maintain the integrity of the programme. RND is a caring community where IB students feel a sense of belonging.