Kingston, ON - Congratulations to Concetta Buragina, Special Education Resource Teacher at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Elementary School in Kingston for being the recipient of a Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Pin Award, for her outstanding contributions to her community.
The Queen's Platinum Jubilee marks the 70th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's accession to the throne. Several local citizens in Kingston and in neighbouring communities are also being recognized for their commitment to local charities and organizations.
Ms. Buragina was presented the award by Mark Gerretsen, Member of Parliament for Kingston and the Thousand Islands, Wednesday, July 20, 2022.
MP Mark Gerretsen presents ALCDSB teacher Concetta Buragina with a Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Pin Award for her outstanding commitment and dedication to her community.
“Receiving this award is extremely humbling; my work with Special Olympics Ontario in our Kingston chapter, as well as my role as a Special Education Resource Teacher with the ALCDSB, grounds me in the talents, abilities and compassion of so many athletes, students and other volunteers around me. I'm a better person because of them", said Buragina.
Buragina, who accepted the award in person Wednesday said “It is incredible to see the depth in volunteerism within the recipients' group here. It is through their service, leadership and contribution that multiple community organizations and partners are supported in their initiatives in helping to make the City of Kingston a thriving community".
Some of the organizations Buragina has supported throughout her 20-year career include:
- Special Olympics Ontario Kingston (Head Coach of Basketball and Soccer, Executive Member in Volunteer Coordinator, Data Administrator, and past Fundraising Coordinator)
- Motionball Kingston (Team Lead and Member of Organizing Committee)
- Cataraqui Clippers Soccer Club, currently Kingston Junior Gaels (past Coach, Convener and Executive Member)
- United Way, Jump Rope for Heart and Terry Fox Run School Lead (various ALCDSB schools)
- Coordinated teams in Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life (Kingston)
- Coordinated and donated through blood drives with Canadian Blood Services (Kingston)
- St. Paul the Apostle Parish (Children's Liturgy/Youth Ministry leader, Eucharistic and Chalice ministry, and Youth Group Lead)