Our St. Martha ECO Team has been working diligently all year to promote ECO friendly best practices and to raise awareness about the need to preserve our gift, the earth, and all of God's creation within it. Work taken on by staff and students this year has been a real labor of love and commitment to being stewards of the earth. Some of this work has included:
- Weekly Class ECO Rep meetings
- Announcements highlighting eco-initiatives
- Monthly lighting and waste audits of each classroom (results are posted outside the Learning Commons)
- Christmas Market – resale of gently used items. Our community raised $500.00 for Almost Home.
- Full Classroom Compost Program
- Earth Day prayers and reflections, as well as a school-wide garbage pick-up
- Planting the gardens and school yard greening
- Partnership with Staples to repurpose school supplies (collected 319 pens and markers) and keep them out of landfill sites.
A special "Thank You" is extended to our ECO Student Class Reps, Recycling and Compost Teams as well as Mrs. Clayton, Mme. Fil and Mr. Kilminster for all of their work to highlight, promote and prepare ECO Schools initiatives!