Skip to main content
1085 Woodbine Rd., Kingston, ON, K7P 2V9| Office: 613-384-1919| |Career Opportunities Staff Links

‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč‚Äč OYAP Cook student Kim shows off a dish.jpg OYAP Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program

The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) offers students who have completed Grade 10 an opportunity to become registered apprentices while finishing high school. Students take a package of in-school subjects to prepare them for practical work experience in a trade, and are placed with an employer who may take the student on as an apprentice after a trial period. While working, students can accumulate cooperative education credits which count as credits towards completing their high school diploma. Once registered as an apprentice, the hours worked are logged towards the number of hours required for journey person status in the chosen trade.

Selecting Your Pathway

Every student in high school will choose one of four available pathways upon leaving school. These include: Apprenticeship, College, University, or going directly to the World of Work. An Apprenticeship is a post-secondary education pathway in which a person earns his/her qualifications or certification as a Skilled Tradesperson.

(Photo: Cook Apprentice Kim proudly shows off her watermelon, feta cheese and red onion salad.)

What is an Apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a hands-on training program for people who want to work in skilled trades occupations found in the Service, Motive Power, Manufacturing, and Construction sectors. About 90% of an apprenticeship involves on-the-job training by employers; the remaining 10% involves theoretical training at a college or with a training provider. In Ontario there are more than 150 trades in which a person may register as an apprentice.

Are Secondary School Students able to get involved?

The 'Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) is a school-to-work transition program offered through Experiential Learning and is found in all secondary schools throughout Ontario. Full-time students in Grades 11 and 12 have the opportunity to earn cooperative education credits through work placements in skilled trades. Many students become registered apprentices before graduating as a result of this experience.

Where can I find more information?

Students interested in a career in the skilled trades should make an appointment with their guidance counsellor or the cooperative education teacher.

Useful Website Addresses For Apprenticeship Information:

You can also call the Training Hotline at 1-888-JOBGROW (1-800-387-5656)‚Äč