The Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board is pleased to announce inter-school athletics for student-athletes in grades 7-12 will resume this week with a mandatory vaccination plan for students, coaches, volunteers, and officials. This decision was made after consultations with our coterminous boards, and local Public Health Units.
We believe participation in extracurricular activities is important. The benefits of these activities to the mental health and well-being of our students are well documented, and we are committed to making those opportunities possible in our Catholic schools once again.
Inter-school activities are those which occur between two or more schools, rather than between students/teams within the same home school, which are referred to as intra-murals.
Permission to play
Students in Grades 7-12 who wish to participate in inter-school events (athletics and/or other extracurriculars) are required to be fully vaccinated by November 12, 2021, to engage in activities outside their home school. OFSAA guidelines and COVID-19 protocols will be followed, as required.
To minimize the contacts for students, coaches, officials and volunteers, all extracurricular events are closed to spectators. Students in the process of acquiring full vaccination status will be permitted to participate in inter-school activities if they are meeting requisite vaccination timelines, as listed below:
- The first dose of vaccination must be completed by October 4th, 2021.
- The second dose of vaccination must be completed by November 1st, 2021.
- All participants must be fully vaccinated (including the 14-day waiting period following dose 2) as of November 15th, 2021.
- Participants will provide proof of vaccination to confirm eligibility but will not be required to submit a copy of this proof.
- Schools will record that proof has been provided and that a participant is eligible.
- ALCDSB will not collect or store personal medical documentation. All students in Grades K-12 may participate in intra-school activities (intramural sports, clubs) without being subject to the vaccination expectations outlined above.
For more information, please refer to the Return to Competition communications provided by schools.
I reiterate our full commitment to the ongoing health and safety of our students, staff, and community volunteers as we begin our return to what we believe is a central part of the Catholic school experience. I thank all stakeholders for their patience, resilience and dedication as we continue our mission of building faith-filled learning communities where each member is loved, inspired, and successful.
Director of Education