Skip to main content
301 Church St., Belleville, ON, K8N 3C7| Office: 613-967-0404| Staff Links
Special Education

What Can Teachers Provide?

Special Education teachers provide support to students experiencing learning needs. In collaboration with classroom teachers, special education teachers can offer:

  • Literacy
  • Additional explanation and support in core subjects
  • Counselling re: time management and study habits
  • An alternate setting for test and exam writing
  • Recommendations for modified evaluation
  • Recommendations for Queen's Mini Courses and other enrichment courses

Students may be identified as exceptional requiring learning accommodations and/or modifications to their program of study. The student’s identification and placement is subject to review once a year through the IPRC process.

How May Student Receive Assistance?

The needs of these students can be met by the regular subject teacher(s) working in partnership with the Special Education teacher. Students may receive assistance in a number of ways.

  • Regular program within the classroom by the teacher;
  • Withdrawal support in the special education resource room;
  • Indirect service through programming assistance provided to the subject teacher by the Special Education Teacher

All of these approaches are based on close co-operation between the subject teacher and the Special Education teacher. Input from parents is welcomed and appreciated.

An Individual Education Plan (IEP) is developed for every student who has been identified as exceptional by an Identification, Placement, and Review Committee (IPRC). An IEP identifies the student’s specific learning expectations and outlines how the school will address these expectations through appropriate special education programs and services. It also identifies the methods by which the student’s progress will be reviewed. Special education programs and services provided for the student are modified by the results of continuous assessment and evaluation. The IEP of exceptional students who are fourteen years of age or older and who are not identified solely as gifted must also contain a plan to make the transition to postsecondary education, apprenticeship programs, or the workplace, and to help them live as independently as possible in the community.

If you are a parent/guardian of an identified exceptional learner, you will receive a copy of the current Individual Educational Plan for your son/daughter within 30 days of placement and with each report card. Students who have not been formally identified as exceptional but who have special needs and are receiving special education services may also have an IEP. In this case the informal IEP is reviewed annually to determine its necessity.

The Board’s Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) makes recommendations to the Board regarding establishment and development of Special Education Programs and Services for the exceptional pupils of the Board.

Information regarding SEAC and its nomination process can be obtained through the principal or the Board’s Student Services Department.

Life Skills

This specialized class is designed to better facilitate the needs of students with developmental delays as identified by a system level IPRC. The overall focus of the Centre is to promote basic literacy and numeracy skills, and personal, social and life skills. Life Skills students are integrated throughout the school with educational supports when required. Students participate in assemblies, Masses and all other school activities. With support, students also participate in cooperative work placements in order to gain the experiences necessary to become as independent as possible. Throughout their secondary school career, transition planning with the student, parents/guardians, teachers and a board appointed transition facilitator develop a process to ease the transition to the post-secondary environment. Programming is individualized for each student through Individual Educational Plans. When the students complete their secondary school years, they receive a Certificate of Accomplishment.