Earning Your Diploma!
OSS Requirements for Ontario Secondary School Diploma
In order to earn an OSSD a student must:
- Earn 30 credits (18 compulsory and 12 elective credits)
- Complete 40 hours of community involvement activities
- Successfully complete the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Requirement
Compulsory Credits (18)
- 4 English ( 1 credit per grade)
- 3 credits in Mathematics (at least 1 credit in Grade 11 or 12)
- 2 credits in Science
- 1 credit in French as a second language
- 1 credit in Canadian History
- 1 credit in Canadian Geography
- 1 credit in the Arts
- 1 credit in Health and Physical Education
- .5 credit in Civics
- .5 credit in Career Studies
- 1 additional credit in English, or French, or Social Sciences and the Humanities, or Canadian and World Studies, or Guidance and Career Education, or Cooperative Education.
- 1 additional credit in Health and Physical Education, or the Arts, or Business Studies, or Cooperative Education.
- I additional credit in Science (Grade 11 or 12) or Technological Education (Grades 9 –12), or Cooperative Education.
Elective Credits (12)
In addition to the 18 compulsory credits, students must earn 12 elective credits selected from the courses listed as available in the school course calendar.
Note: All students are required to take Religious Education courses in grades 9 through 12 as part of their commitment to Catholic Education.