Our first two weeks of in person learning have been safe, productive, and successful, with zero cases of COVID-19 in our Catholic schools. I want to thank and commend each of our families and students for your exemplary resilience and continued adherence to public health guidelines during our first weeks back in the classroom.
I also want to provide you with an update from our most recent discussions with HPE and KFL&A Public Health Units:
- Currently, public health does not recommend broad testing of asymptomatic students and staff in schools in our region.
- We have very low prevalence of COVID-19 in our region, low/no variants of concern, and a high testing capacity at our local assessment centres, minimizing the benefit of asymptomatic testing.
- In our area, testing centres currently have good testing capacity and efficient turnaround time for COVID-19 testing and results.
- Targeted testing strategies may be implemented for certain situations such as cohorts of positive cases and identifying/monitoring COVID-19 variants in our area.
- All high-risk contacts of positive cases are encouraged to seek COVID-19 testing and must complete a mandatory isolation period (regardless of test results) prior to return to school. (for detailed information on how to properly isolate visit kflaph.ca/SelfIsolation)
School boards and public health units continue to work closely together to ensure appropriate screening and testing strategies are in place to keep schools safe. We remind all families to please continue using the daily screening tool to assess your child's readiness to attend school.
You can access the printable daily screening tool here: https://www.kflaph.ca/en/healthy-living/resources/Infection-Prevention-and-Control/Coronavirus/school-protocols/2020-10-08_COVID19-School-Screening-Tool_8.5x11.pdf
You can access the provincial government online screening tool here: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
We must remain cautious, and keep up our strenuous efforts to stay safe, and follow all public health guidelines.
I want to thank you all again for making our return such a success as we build faith-filled learning communities where each member is loved, inspired, and successful.
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Director of Education