St. Geneviève Catholic School Boundary Review
The Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board promotes the efficient use of school facilities and resources through the maintenance of attendance boundaries which encompass the neighborhoods in which attending students live.
School attendance boundaries may require adjustment from time-to-time to ensure that the Board is meeting the needs of all our students. School boundaries may be influenced by many factors, such as:
- Construction of a new school;
- Demographic changes;
- Municipal boundaries;
- Neighborhood developments;
- Natural geographic and transportation boundaries;
- Bus transportation; and/or
- Location and size of other school facilities.
St. Geneviève Catholic School Boundary Review
On December 13, 2022, the ALCDSB Board of Trustees authorized staff to conduct a School Attendance Boundary Review for the St. Geneviève Catholic School review area, including French Immersion attendance boundaries for Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic School and École catholique Cathedrale, based upon an initial administrative boundary proposal. Staff have now completed
consultations with stakeholders and the St. Geneviève Catholic School community based upon the recommended proposal as follows:
- The division of the existing Mother Teresa Catholic School boundary to reassign students residing north of Princess Street and west of Bayridge Drive within the Mother Teresa Catholic School boundary to St. Geneviève Catholic School, located at 386 Holden Street.
- The reassignment of the French Immersion boundaries that coincide with the Regular Track attendance boundaries of Archbishop O’Sullivan Catholic School, Mother Teresa Catholic School, St. John XXIII Catholic School, and St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School, from Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic School to St. Geneviève Catholic School, located at 386 Holden Street.
- The annexation of a small portion of the St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School boundary into the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School boundary to reduce enrolment pressures at St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School due to future possible development within the annexed area.
- Busing implications of the changes would be determined in accordance with Board policy -
Transportation of Students - S-2022-10-6
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my child be eligible for transportation to St. Geneviève Catholic School?
Will I be able to get priority access for my children to the new child care centre at St. Geneviève Catholic School if I am relocated to the new school? Will I be able to enroll in before and after school programs at St. Geneviève Catholic School?
With respect to prioritized access to the new child care spaces being provided at St. Geneviève Catholic School, the Board is unable to guarantee the prioritization of spaces to families enrolled at the school. The child care service provider is responsible for establishing their own prioritization list. However, the Board will be requesting that the child care service provider operating the new child care center give special consideration to families with siblings who attend St. Geneviève Catholic School.
With respect to the provision of a before and after program at any school, it is dependent on the financial viability of operating the program based upon the interest expressed by families within the school and local area. Priority space for students moving to St. Geneviève Catholic School who are currently served by a before and after school program cannot be guaranteed a spot in a St. Geneviève Catholic School before and after program. However, as part of the child care service provider process, the Board will be requesting that the successful provider consider this request and the provision of this service.
What is the transition plan for the students who are moving schools?
The Board will work with any impacted families and students through their existing school communities to help facilitate a smooth transition between their existing school and St. Geneviève Catholic School. We are committed to looking for ways to foster community prior to the opening of the new school.
Will my child be able to enroll in French Immersion at St. Geneviève Catholic School?
If you are interested in transitioning your child from the regular stream to the French Immersion program at St. Geneviève Catholic School, we kindly request that you reach out to your current school principal prior to June 1st to discuss this possibility further.
Which, if any, students will be “legacied" at their existing schools?
It is the refined administrative proposal that ALL Kindergarten to Grade 8 students residing in the St. Geneviève Catholic School catchment area attending Mother Teresa CS, Our Lady of Mount Carmel CS or École catholique Cathedrale be transitioned to the new school upon its' opening in September 2024.
What will be the start time for St. Geneviève Catholic School?
The bell times for all schools in the St. Geneviève Catholic School Review Area are coordinated to permit Tri-Board Transportation to maximize efficiencies in the transportation of all students.